Bethany Inn at Leafwood
Bethany Inn at Leafwood, circa 1781
1781 – Leafwood is a warm and gracious colonial style home with beautifully landscaped grounds located in the village of Saluda, Virginia. It reflects the aura of a gentler era. The original part of the home was built for the overseer of Clark’s Neck Plantation.
1856 – The home was sold to O.J. Marston who enlarged it, adding bedrooms to the left of the hall, both upstairs and down. He also added a large room to the back as a dining room.
1910 – Coloned John R. Saunders, who was Attorney General of the Commonwealth of Virginia and his wife purhased the home, which remained in the family for the next 93 years.
2003 – Dr. and Mrs. Brockett Muir purchased the home from the Saunders family and lovingly restored and updated the home. Dr. Muir was an avid gardener, artist and sailor. He and Mrs. Muir were very active in the local community and greatly respected and loved. Their love for Leafwood and the beautiful grounds remains evident. Due to the passing of Dr. Muir and the poor health of Mrs. Muir, it became necessary for the Muir family to sell Leafwood.
2011 – John and Judy Young, retired missionaries to Africa, purchased the home to fulfill a lifelong dream of restoring and reviving an historic home. It is John and Judy’s desire to provide a place of comfort, and serenity for those who desire to leave the modern world and step into a quieter, gentler era where body and soul may be refreshed.